[sumo] The Passing of Barbara Ann Klein

Scott Kahn smk1 at caa.columbia.edu
Tue Jun 11 01:02:06 EDT 2024

Oh, my, I am in shock.  I can’t believe it.

Barbara Ann was so generous to me and my family.  And, to so many who love
sumo, including all rikishi.

I wouldn’t know where to start.  Whether it was helping Bob Reimer and his
lovely wife when he was diagnosed with melanoma.  Taking a photo of
Daughter of Sukubidubidu to her adopted Jonokuchi-level rikishi, Gagamaru,
and returning with a photo of Gaga smiling, holding the same picture in his
hands.

Or, her close personal relationship with a young wrestler from Mongolia,
befriending him when he was just starting out in sumo, like she did with so
many rikishi who adored her.  They became close personal friends, to the
point where she became godmother to his children.  She accompanied him on
occasion to Mongolia, and he would stay with her in New York when he
visited here.

One evening when Barbara Ann and I were at a sushi restaurant in Manhattan,
she received a call from him.  “I’m here”, he said, and he asked her to
come meet him for dinner.  Barbara Ann asked me to come along with her, and
at first I refused, not wanting to disturb their friendship.  She would
have nothing to do with my refusal, saying that I was also her friend.  So,
I went with her.  I met her friend, his brother, and a few other people.
To see in person, how strong their friendship was, and how much they
enjoyed each other’s company, was priceless.  He was such a kind,
thoughtful, respectful young gentleman.

Those who saw Barbara Ann’s leather jacket that she proudly wore, know who
her friend is.  He gifted her with a yusho portrait.  He confided in her.
As did many other rikishi.

I am sure that he and his family join us in mourning, upon learning of this
sad news.

Please excuse me while I shed tears for a dear friend…

Sukubidubidu