[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - YDC Soken

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Thu May 2 05:07:10 EDT 2024

>From Moti

Best regards,
Jeffrey Anderson
Gaijingai
For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these:
It might have been.
- John Greenleaf Whittier

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 2, 2024 at 3:13 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - YDC Soken
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

The YDC soken (special training session held by the Yokozuna Deliberation
Council) was held today at the Kokugikan, open to the public, 2500
came. Terunofuji did not take part, saying he wasn't up to it physically.
He was ring-side doing the fundamentals. "I planned on doing some sumo but
my condition has become worse. I can't go into details, but I wanted to be
on the safe side. I don't think it's serious, but I can only do what I can
do on any given day" he explained. OTOH, Komusubi Oonosato (weird writing
that) made his presence felt, taking on three Ozeki and going 3-3 against
them and 5-5 overall. At the beginning, the Ozeki fought each other, but
then Kirishima called him out and lost. Then Oonosato himself called
Houshouryuu out and beat him as well. Houshouryuu (probably infuriated..)
asked for a rematch, and beat Oonosato twice. Oonosato was called by
Kirishima again and beat him again.. He then called out Kotozakura (weird
writing that) and lost. So 3-3. "It was excellent keiko. I wanted to do
sumo against the upper echelons, and after being called out, i was able to
do some bouts and that was good. It has definitely boosted my confidence. I
was able to win and show my strength, " he said. Non-sanyaku don't usually
get to practice with the top guys, and the fact that he was part of the
show made him feel like he is a sanyaku rikishi now. "That made me feel
like I am a sanyaku rikishi now!" he agreed, sporting his new yet very
short mage. He didn't get to face the Ozeki during the month-long  jungyo,
and he knows that he will be facing them in the early stages of the basho.
"I was able to do my own sumo. I still have a long way to go but there is
ample time till the beginning of the basho so I will prepare  properly and
will watch the videos of today's bouts, fixing what needs a- fixing," he
summed.

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/5bfefdc4-2b0f-4962-ab66-8c533e7f9837n%40googlegroups.com