[sumo] Fwd: [Sumo news] - Training news

Jeffrey Anderson jpaitv at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 10:08:43 EDT 2024

Moti
Gaijingai

Best regards,
Jeffrey Anderson

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these:
It might have been.
- John Greenleaf Whittier

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Moti Dichne <niramiai at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 11, 2024 at 4:01 AM
Subject: [Sumo news] - Training news
To: Sumo Newsletter2 <sumo-newsletter2 at googlegroups.com>

Isegahama Oyakata has declared that Yokozuna Terunofuji is in for Nagoya.
"He will participate. He has been training, aiming for that. He has not
done sufficient keiko, but he has a strong sense of responsibility," said
the Oyakata. Today, he trained with Takarafuji and was 8-1. Not only was he
using his favorite right hand grip, but he trained against Takarafuji's
left hand grip as well, knowing he will be facing left hand grip guys in
the early stages of the basho, and was seen overwhelming Takarafuji
regardless. He will be resting tomorrow, so that will be it for training
for Terunofuji. "My condition is as usual. In any case, we won't know till
I try, yes?" he said later. "I expect him to do his best and to properly go
all the way while aiming for the yusho. Otherwise what?" summed Isegahama
Oyakata.

Chatting with ex-Hakuhou:

[image: 202407110000365-w500_0.jpg]

Juryo Takerufuji will decide tomorrow morning if he's in or out. He did
train today against the lower rankers of his heya but was not allowed to
talk to the press at the orders of his Oyakata. "He says he wants to
enter," said the Oyakata.

Jonokuchi Enhou has declared he is in for Nagoya, after missing 6 bashos.
"I have to decide at some point to come back, otherwise I never will. I
have made that decision now. Whatever people say, in the end, it's my
life.." he said, hinting that he knows the risk of further injury. The pain
has subsided lately and he has been able to train well. "I have to conquer
my fear, otherwise I won't be able to mount the dohyo. I will be fighting
for all seven days. If I appear just for one day (to avoid being
banzuke-gai like many rikishi do) that would not be called entering..I've
been away for so long, I have no idea how it will go.., he summed.

[image: 202407110000470-w500_0.jpg]

--

---
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sumo-newsletter2/af0d328e-82c8-40ea-a17b-df094c6dc997n%40googlegroups.com